TinType Portrait Information & Booking
OUR TINTYPE PORTRAIT SESSIONS OFFER:
- The slow & contemplative experience of sitting for an authentic 19th century wet plate collodion portrait.
- An insight into how photographs were made on metal & glass plates at the very beginning of photographic history.
- Watch & learn how your tintype is created step by step, including the complete darkroom process.
I offer vintage tintype portrait sessions in my small, cozy and quiet home based studio, located on an idyllic street surrounded by oak trees near the shores of Lake Monona in Madison, Wisconsin. It is also possible to arrange a session at a chosen location.
A wet collodion tintype portrait is slow photography. It requires maintaining absolute stillness during the time of exposure (a head brace is often employed as an aid). The time may vary from 10 to 60 seconds. Please consider this when planning for a child's portrait.
Wet Plate CollodionTintype History & Portrait Demonstration:
TINTYPE PORTRAIT STUDIO PRICING:
- Tintype portrait (in studio, one person, receive one plate): $95
- Couples tintype portrait (two people, receive one plate): $125
- Additional plates made during your session: $48
- High Resolution retouched digital scan: $75
TINTYPE PORTRAIT ON LOCATION PRICING:
- Individual tintype portrait (select two plates to keep from your session): $145
- Group tintype portrait (2 to 4 people, select 2 plates): $198
- Couples package (two individual portrait plates, two couples portrait plates): $275
- Commercial tintype session: For special subject matter such as advertising, promotion and product photography; an average session yields 3 - 4 tintype plates: $550 (includes free initial consultation & planning appointment).
- Contemporary wood block framing: $35 Gallery style framing: $75
TINTYPE REPRINTS ON ART PAPER:
- 5X7: $25 • 8x10: $40 • 11x14: $65 • 16x20: $125
8x10 JUMBO TINTYPES:
- We also offer tintype plates in a special 8x10 size: 4 times larger than our standard plate but only twice the price!
TINTYPE GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE:
Tintype portrait sessions make wonderful & unique gifts. Click the "Gift Certificate" link in the catalog on the main menu to purchase tintype portrait gift certificates online.
- All tintype pricing includes the original 3.25”x4.25” plate and web resolution, watermarked digital copy.
- Pre-payment is required for all tintype appointments. Pre-payments will be refunded for cancellations made up to 48 hours before the booking date. To book use the contact link on this site.
- Individual tintype appointments last approximatly 30 minutes; couple and family packages last around an hour.
- Clothing with visible text is discouraged, as is solid white and black clothing (blues, greens and cream colors photograph best with the tintype process. Accessorize your session with hats, scarves, jewelry or other small props.
- All portrait bookings are for people! Children are welcome, but must be capable of holding (or being held) still for up to thirty seconds. Animals and still-life objects require a one-hour session and prior consultation.
- Your tintype plates are available framed or unframed.
- Unframed, waxed or varnished plates are available at the end of your portrait session. We also email you a watermarked web resolution digital copy of your tintype!
- For framing please allow 1 - 2 weeks. "Shipping is free with all framed plates".
- To arrange your own authentic tintype portrait session contact me at: Gregory@GPAgallery.com or use the contact page on this site.