TinTypes Today is the photography studio of Madison based artist Gregory Bleck. He specializes in the 19th-century wet-plate collodion process to make direct positive photographs on glass (ambrotype) and on metal ( tintype). He has over 34 years experience as a working photographer and 3 years experience working with the collodion process using it for both portraiture and other artistic endeavors. Gregory holds the Master of Photography degree from the Professional Photographers of America as well as an Associate Arts degree in Visual Communications from Madison College. Gregory also works in other analog photographic processes including bromoil & silver gelatin. He is also available for private or group instruction.
Awards and Recognition:
- Wisconsin Photographer of the Year - Wisconsin Professional Photographers Association
- Multiple - Kodak Gallery Award Winner
- Multiple - Fuji Masterpiece Award Winner
- Multiple - Outstanding Artistic Achievement Award winner Wisconsin Professional Photographers.
- Multiple - Best of Show Awards from the Wisconsin Professional Photographers Assoc.
- Photographer of the Year - South Central Photographers Association
- Master of Photography degree from the Professional Photographers of America
- Associate Arts degree in Visual Communications, Madison College (formerly MATC)
Gregory Bleck has taught classes in professional photography in Madison, Wisconsin as well as other parts of the state on subjects including artistic composition, creative editing, analog darkroom process and professional photography business practices.
Fine Art Exhibitions:
His fine art photography which includes Wisconsin rural landscapes, contemporary urban life, abstracted nature scenes, alternative process imagery and vintage snapshot collages have been exhibited in museums and galleries across Wisconsin including:
- Sinsinawa Art Gallery, Sinsinawa Mound, Wisconsin
- Holy Wisdom Art Gallery, Middleton, Wisconsin
- Century House Gallery, Madison, Wisconsin
- Froth House Gallery, Madison, Wisconsin
- The Chazen Museum Of Fine Art Madison, Wisconsin
- Porter Butts Gallery Madison, Wisconsin
- Steenbock Gallery Madison, Wisconsin
- Epcot Center at Walt Disney World Orlando, Florida
- Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction
- Studio Photography & Design Magazine
- Bloomberg's BusinessWeek
- Brava magazine
- Madison Magazine
- Professional Photographer magazine
- Wedding Planner & Guide magazine published by Joy publications
- Multiple Loan Collection books published by the Professional Photographers of America
- WISC TV Live At Five Interview
- WMTV TV Evening News Interview
Volunteer Initiatives & Fund Raising:
- Teaching photography to adult students with disabilities for VSA Wisconsin 2010 – present.
- Photojournalist and visual media volunteer Holy Wisdom Monastery 2007 – present.
- Development board member Holy Wisdom Monastery 2010 – 2011.
- Oak Society fund raising program for Aldo Leopold Nature Center 2005 -2007.
Special Skills & Aptitudes:
- Adobe Photoshop.
- Fine art Ink Jet printing using professional Epson printers.
- Graphic layout & design.
- Analog darkroom technician both film and print. Digital copy & restoration of vintage or damaged photographs.
- Proficient in the use of still cameras both vintage view cameras to high end digital.
- Teaching and public speaking on photography technique, vintage photography processes and photographic history.
- Audio / Visual slide show production.
- Matting and framing of fine art pieces.
- Photographic portraiture and event photography.
- Small business owner 1978 – present.